Stay between Friday 8th and Sunday 10th May 2020 and commemorate VE Day with us.
Brimming with history, Danesfield House was once home to the Intelligence Section of the RAF, known as RAF Medmenham. The unit specialized in photographic intelligence and was the ‘eyes’ to Bletchley Park’s ‘ears’.
Step back in time to RAF Medmenham in World War II and celebrate the 75th anniversary of the end of the War. You’ll learn about the secrets of the house from 1941-1946 as RAF Medmenham, view pictures of the photographic interpretation unit from World War II and try to catch a glimpse of the elusive ‘Grey Lady’ ghost of the house! We will recreate one of the rooms used to help win the war and include a trip and Afternoon Tea to Bletchley Park in your package (voucher to be used within 12 months).
• Overnight accommodation (based on two people sharing a Classic Room)
• Full English breakfast
• Enjoy a three-course dinner
• Full use of the spa facilities between check-in and check-out
• Visit to Bletchley Park with Afternoon Tea (a voucher will be issued on booking to be used at your leisure within 12 months)
• Questions and Answers with RAF veterans and current RAF personnel
• Informative talks and book signings from leading authors of wartime stories:
Elinor Florence, author of the best-selling wartime novel 'Bird's Eye View', which tells the compelling story of a young woman working for Allied Intelligence as a photo interpreter here at historic Danesfield House, formerly RAF Medmenham.
Michael Smith 'The Secrets of Station X': How the Bletchley Park codebreakers helped win the war-The astonishing story of how the British codebreakers of Bletchley Park cracked the Nazi Enigma cyphers.
Julie Summers author, researcher and historian 'Our Uninvited Guests' and 'Dressed For War' - Julie weaves together stories from ordinary lives and high society to provide a unique picture of life during the Second World War.
Christine Halsall author of 'Women of Intelligence' who wrote a fascinating exploration of the secret war work carried out by women at RAF Medmenham, from Churchill’s daughter to girls escaping home for the first time; the story of their wartime life and work – in their own words.
Taylor Downing author of 'Spies in the Sky' - The story of the daring reconnaissance pilots who took aerial photographs over Occupied Europe during the most dangerous days of the war and of interpreters who invented a competely new science to analyse those pictures!
• Secrets Revealed: Talk with Q&A's from 97 year old Charlotte 'Betty' Webb MBE, stationed at Bletchley Park, author of 'Secret Postings' - At 18 years of age Charlotte Vine-Stevens volunteered for the ATS, the Women's Army. Between 1941 and 1945 she became part of the war time codebreaking operation at the Government Code & Cypher School based at Bletchley Park. It is her work in the Japanese Section that leads Charlotte to see out the war in the Pacific at the Pentagon. Secret Postings charts Charlotte's life from a Shropshire village upbringing, to pre-war Germany, a World War 2 adventure at Bletchley Park, the Pentagon and beyond. *Please note that this talk will take place during the Anniversary Lunch that is not included in the package price - £75pp. Reservations can be made on booking. Availability is limited. Charlotte 'Betty' will be around the hotel during Saturday only for book sales and signings and additional questions and answers.
• Talk from volunteer, Bernie Knill at Hughenden Manor, where the raiding pilot’s maps were drawn up
• Tours of Danesfield House by Peter Faarup, Danesfield’s own private historian
• Museum and exhibition of the photographic interpretation unit
• And much more…..
• From £349 per room, per night
Terms & Conditions:
• Non-refundable and non-transferable, full pre-payment required at the time of booking
• Limited availability
• Promo code to book online: VE2020
• Please note that the visit with Afternoon Tea to Bletchely Park is a voucher to be used within 12 months. This will be emailed to you on confirmation. It is advisable to pre-book this trip as soon as possible as Bletchley will be heavily booked up around VE Day and the spring and summer months.
• Please note that the Anniversary Lunch is not included in the package price. This is an additional £75pp and spaces are limit
For package reservations: email@example.com or call 01628 891010