One of the biggest questions you will ask yourself when coming to Buckinghamshire is: who does the best afternoon tea in the county? Why not judge for yourself by choosing from our shortlist below. So in no particular order…
Danesfield House, Marlow
This quintessentially British tradition is enjoyed at Danesfield House with the River Thames and the Chilterns as a backdrop. Afternoon Tea is served at The Restaurant and the Terrace daily.
- Weekdays from 1pm until 5.30pm, Weekends from 3.30pm until 5.30pm.
- TTraditional Afternoon Tea: £30 per person
- Champange Afternoon Tea: £40 per person
- Tel: 01628 891010
Hartwell House and Spa, Aylesbury
Walk in the footsteps of Louis XVIII and indulge in freshly prepared afternoon teas complete with sandwiches, pastries, plain and fruit scones and complimentary fresh tea and coffee, in beautiful surroundings in either the Morning Room, Drawing Room, Great Hall or Library at Hartwell House.
- Opening times: Monday-Saturday 3.30pm-5pm, Sunday 4pm-5.30pm.
- Traditional afternoon tea: £30 per person
Waddesdon Manor’s Manor Restaurant
Indulge yourself with a selection of savoury treats and delicious pastries in what used to be the kitchen and servants’ hall at Waddeson Manor, now decked out with framed Mouton wine label prints.
- Open until 2 January 2017, Wed-Sun: 12 noon-5pm.
- Bookable sitting times at 12 noon, 12.30pm, 2pm, 2.30pm, 3.45pm or 4.15pm.
- In order to access the restaurant you'll need to have a grounds admission ticket.
- Traditional afternoon tea: £19.50
- Champagne afternoon tea: £24.50
- Children's high tea: £10.00
Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway, Chinnor
For something abit different, why not enjoy a delicious Cream Tea as you travel from the main station in Chinnor along the foothills of the Chilterns on a steam train. Sit back, relax and watch the steam lazily curl past your window in the Afternoon Tea Car as the lovely views gradually open out to reveal the Vale of Aylesbury and Whiteleaf Cross in the distance.
Tickets and reservations in the Afternoon Tea Cars must always be pre-booked on the steam-hauled 13.30, 15.00, & 16.30 departures.
- Adult or Senior travel + Cream Tea (16+ yrs) - £17
- Child travel + Cream Tea (3-15 yrs) - £3.50
- N.B. When you make up a party of 8 or more people and book in advance we may be able to offer you further reduced price group travel rates - click here to see how to obtain them.
Stoke Park Country Club, Stoke Poges
Enjoy delicately hand-made sandwiches, cakes and scones served with delicious clotted cream, along with a wide range of teas and coffees. For the daring, try the Chocolate Afternoon Tea, Stoke Park’s twist on the classic.
- Opening times: Monday-Sunday 2.30pm-5.30pm.
- Tel: 01753 717172.
- Traditional afternoon tea: £35 per person
- Champagne afternoon tea: £47 per person
- Chocolate afternoon tea: £40 per person
Stoke Place Hotel, Stoke Poges
Avoid the late afternoon sinking feeling with our traditional take on afternoon tea, serving up delicate cakes and finger sandwiches alongside your choice of tea or fizz.
- Afternoon Tea is served 3pm to 5pm every day.
- Champange Afternoon Tea: £34.50 per person
- Traditional Afternoon Tea: £24.50 per person
- Tel: 01753 534 790